Many of us choose what we eat very carefully, or at least dedicate our minimum attention to it. But when it comes to drinks, especially alcoholic beverages, we do little to make the best decisions for our health. Which is a HUGE mistake. All the work for your body can be ruined in a weekend out. While foods and non-alcoholic beverages are required to list their ingredients and are monitored by the FDA, beer does not belong in either. The alcohol industry has lobbied for years to avoid labeling its ingredients. Some to protect its recipes, but most – to hide harmful ingredients. Here’s some harmful ingredients that are commonly found in beer:
- GMO Corn Syrup
- GMO Corn
- High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Fish Bladder
- Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
- GMO Sugars
- Caramel Coloring
- Insect-Based Dyes
Here are the 8 beers that are commonly found in bars in United States that you should stop drinking immediately.
1. Newcastle Brown Ale
The Newcastle beer has been found to contain caramel coloring. Class 3 and 4 caramel coloring is made from ammonia, which is classified as a carcinogen. “The one and only” beer with cancer causing qualities.
Newcastle Brown Ale has proactively removed all caramel coloring from its beer. Newcastle now receives its color from natural roasted malts.
2. Budweiser One of the most popular beers, or most advertised is Budweiser. Budweiser contains genetically modified (GMO) corn. In 2007, Greenpeace discovered experimental GMO rice in Anheuser-Busch (Budweiser) beer. 3. Corona Extra I used to love Corona’s commercials. They were so peaceful and relaxing. That is until I found out that the beer contains GMO Corn Syrup and Propylene Glycol. Propylene Glycol is controversial, and is said to may be potentially harmful to your health. 4. Miller Lite This is another very popular beer in America that contains GMOs. Miller Lite contains GMO corn and corn syrup. It’s “GMO time”. 5. Michelob Ultra Less popular but still readily available Michelob beer, should be eliminated from your choices. This beer has been found to contain a genetically modified sweetener (GMO dextrose). 6. Guinness Guinness is often praised for it’s smoothness. However, several investigations proved that Guinness ingredients are quite disturbing. The beer contains fish bladder and high fructose corn syrup.
High fructose corn syrup has been long banned from many stores and drinks. 7. Coors Light Coors light is a drink that is very popular at bars and among college students. Mostly because its cheap. The beer contains GMO corn syrup. 8. Pabst Blue Ribbon Pabst Blue Ribbon contains GMO corn and GMO corn syrup.
Healthy Beer Alternatives
So when it comes to beer you have to be very careful. Your best option is to find a microbrewery that you can trust. As with everything, try to avoid cheap, low-quality products. Bars may offer Coors Light, Miller Lite or Budweiser specials, but they are cheap for a reason. The rest of the world is banning GMOs everywhere, while USA is lagging years behind, and only several states offer GMO labeling laws. Try to stay away from any Mass Marketed American beers. Choose organic beer. Beers that contain 100% organic labels, have to have ingredients that are all 100% organic. While an “organic” label just means 95% of it will be organic. European beer is most likely to be safe from GMO ingredients but unfortunately, most other beer contains GMO artificial ingredients, stabilizers, grains and preservatives, plus, HFCS. GMO Free Beers: Organic Beers (Unpasteurized & Unfiltered)
- Wolaver’s – all beers
- Lamar Street – Whole Foods label (brewed by Goose Island)
- Bison – all beers
- Dogfish Head (organic when ingredients available)
- Fish Brewery Company – Fish Tale Ales
- Lakefront Brewery – Organic ESB
- Brooklyn – (organic when ingredients are available)
- Pinkus – all beers
- Samuel Smiths – Samuel Smiths Organic Ale
- Wychwood – Scarecrow Ale
Non-Organic Beers (Unpasteurized & Unfiltered)
- Sierra Nevada – all choices
- Duck Rabbit – Brown Ale, Porter, Amber Ale, Milk Stout
- Dogfish Head- 60 Minute IPA, Shelter Pale Ale, Chicory Stout
- Shipyard – Summer Brew
- Victory Brewery – Whirlwind
- North Coast – Blue Star
- Bridgeport – IPA (Bottle conditioned)
- Ayinger – all choices
- Royal Oak – Pale Ale
- Fraziskaner – Hefeweisse and Dunkel Weisse
- Weihenstephaner – Hefe Weissbier
- Maisel’s – Weisse
- Hoegaarden – Belgian Wit
- Amstel Light
- Duchy Original Ale Organic
- Mill Street Brewery
- Fuller’s Organic
- Nelson Organic Ale
- Natureland Organic
It’s important to expose companies that use harmful ingredients in their products. This information is hidden from the public with millions of dollars of false advertising, laws, etc. You can always vote with your money. As this information about GMO beers spreads, we will see a decrease in production of these beers and the companies may eliminate the harmful ingredients altogether. Most importantly, when you hang out with your friends, you will be able to share beer that’s more delicious and healthier. If you have any additional information about GMO or non-gmo beers, or want to correct some of the information, simply e-mail us or leave a comment with evidence below.